In our DBT skills training group, clients learn the skills that they need in order to build the lives they want to have. Clients must attend individual therapy with a therapist at our clinic or elsewhere at least twice per month while attending the DBT Skills Training Group to help them apply the skills they learn in group.
What You Learn:
DBT skills training consists of four sets of skills (we call them modules):
- Mindfulness Skills: We call these skills the core skills, because they help with all the other skills we learn and because they are very important. Mindfulness Skills will help you become more aware of what is going on inside and outside of yourself. They will help you have better control over your mind, thoughts, and emotions.
- Distress Tolerance Skills: Distress Tolerance skills will help you get through crisis skillfully without doing things that will make the situation worse. They will help you cope with the most difficult and intense emotions. They will teach you to take care of yourself when things get very difficult, and will help reduce the suffering that often comes with crisis situations and intense distress.
- Emotion Regulation Skills: This set of skills will help you understand your emotions better, and notice them as they are happening. These skills will also help you change emotions that you no longer want to have, and reduce how often you experience unpleasant emotions.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills: Often times, intense emotions make it difficult to get what you want in relationships. Not getting your needs met in relationships can also cause intense emotions. That’s why we teach you skills to ask for what you want, say no to things you do not want, stand up for yourself and maintain your relationships while doing this.
Our DBT skills training groups run for two hours every week, for 24 weeks.
Clients can join a group at the start of any module.
We currently offer the following group times and start dates:
Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 P.M.:
- March 18, 2021
- May 5, 2021
Our Groups are held at the Toronto DBT Centre, located at 28 Madison Ave in Toronto. (see here for detailed directions)
To optimize learning and make sure everyone gets the help they need, we keep our groups limited to a maximum of 10 participants.
The cost of our groups is $150 per two hour session.
- Access to a computer with a microphone and camera connected to high-speed internet or a phone to call into the group session.
- Access to a private undisturbed space from which you can call into the group. We recommend that you use headphones to call into the group to ensure every group member’s privacy
- Access to any distress tolerance items you may require during the group session
- You will be required to sign our online group agreement prior to being provided with the information to join the group session